Monday, November 1, 2010

New Work for JCC Display: Flight of Fancy

This is one of several pieces that will be on display at the Jewish Community Center in Niskayuna, NY from November through January. The inspiration for these pieces were the children that go there for daycare and preschool. Reading about the declining creativity in our children (if we can believe everything we read) I thought about all the neat things kids can do that a) don't cost anything and b) get kids into that "state of bliss" and help them cope with whatever is going on in their world.

This piece hangs suspended in flight, her hands clutching two feathers, her eyes closed in the wonderful feeling of flying like a bird.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Julie, I haven't seen it in person, but from what I see in the pictures and after I read your description of the piece, I think it's one of your best works! It definitely holds that " free child spirit" that you wanted to capture in it!
Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

I work at the Schenectady JCC and admire your pieces daily. They are so creative and fantastic. My favorite is the picture you have posted here- Flight of Fancy.