Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tomtens and Birds!

For the Artisan's Showcase at the Sow's Ear Studio and Gallery and the Holiday Show at Valley Artisan's Market these tomtens and felted birds make their seasonal appearance. The tomtens are little Swedish gnomes who are quite mischievous.  My Swedish grandmother sent a tomten to us when I was a child and they have been part of my life ever since.  They like to have a nice bowl of rice pudding on Xmas Eve as an expression of appreciation for their hard work all year.  These little birds and tomtens are available in Cambridge, NY at the Valley Artisan's Market during the month of December.

1 comment:

Charlie Branch said...

I can remember the Astrid Lindgren books about the tomten when growing up. One should remember, well, maybe it was my own rule that I came up with; Never argue with a Swedish grandmother, unless you are absolutely certain that it will make your lives better fishing for crappies. I miss both (my maternal and my ex-wife's) Swede grandmas, but I know I'll see them in the afterlife. The latter brought me to my current place at Coeur d'Alene's downtown church as we, the living, are renovating the sanctuary as the congregation is increasing in youth and vigor. Such is the circle of life...

Ahh, time to make rice pudding...